Monday, April 6, 2015

Classic Fiction Annotation

The Picture of Dorian Gray
By Oscar Wilde

Synopsis

Dorian Gray is a handsome man who has got it all, or does he? He is portrayed as that, literally, on a canvas that was gifted to him by his artist friend Basil. But behind Dorian's good looks hides a monster which is greedy for more. Dorian wants immortality, and through selling his soul to the devil, he manages to stay handsome and young, while his picture on canvas ages and rots.

This arrangement however shortly dissolves as Dorian is forced to face his own sins and redeem his soul.





Characteristics that makes it fit into classic fiction

- The setting of the story -19th century-.
- The description of the English society of the late 1800s.
- The controversial themes hinting at homosexuality and redefinition of gender role.
- Elegance in writing.

Read-a-likes

Lolita by Valdimir Nabokov
Frankenstein by Mary Wollstonecraft
Dracula by Bram Stoker
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like it might read a little like Dante's Inferno. I also liked Dracula, Frankenstein, and Dr. Jekyll. This is going on my Goodreads List. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds really good! I love victorian literature so this sounds like it would be right up my alley. What did you think of it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds really good! I love victorian literature so this sounds like it would be right up my alley. What did you think of it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is ironic that so many classic books and older titles hint at homosexuality and gender roles. This book reminds me of Cloud 9, which unfortunately I felt was a dreadful book, it was just not my taste. So I have mixed feelings about this book because you list Frankenstein, which I love as a read-a-like but at the same time I am not sure. I will add it to my list so if when I am in the mood for classic fiction I will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete