Sunday, April 5, 2015

The Reader’s Advisory Matrix


The Reader’s Advisory Matrix

I Heart My Little A-Holes
by Karen Alpert

·         Where is the book on the narrative continuum?

Highly narrative (reads like fiction)

·         What is the subject of the book?

Pregnancy and raising children.

·         What type of book is it?

A memoir.

·         Articulate appeal:

What is the pacing of the book? Fast, packed with information and hilarious experiences.

Describe the characters of the book. The author herself, pictured as a deranged mother (rightfully so) with the two kids and husband.

How does the story feel? Makes you dread having kids at first but the more you read into it you realize that kids are a blessing.

What is the intent of the author? To tackle a taboo which most women don’t speak about: their baby delivery experience and its aftermath. The author pretty much paints all the horrors of pregnancy and child rearing in a humorous, frank tone.

Does the language matter? Yes.

Is the setting important and well described? Not much setting is necessary for the purpose of this book.

Are there details and if so, of what? Yes, of child rearing and pregnancy.

Are there sufficient charts and other graphic materials? Are they useful and clear? Yes, the author included pictures of her children.

Does the book stress moments of learning, understanding, or experience? Yes, as the author describes the bad situations that happened to her, she also mentions the silver lining to each situation.

·         Why would a reader enjoy this book?

1-      Packed with information.

2-      Hilarious and honest.

3-      Important topic for every woman.

3 comments:

  1. As a mother of four I am always looking for a little inspiration and understanding. I will have to keep this one in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have this book at my library. It looks hilarious! I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish my library had it, but alas... I might have to ILL this one sometime :)
      My library is a fair size, in a slightly more liberal than average area, and other humorous parenting books have circulated well, yet we don't have it. I have to wonder if there hasn't been some librarian self-censorship thanks to the title. While the title amuses me, I think it might have scared off a few coworkers who fear confrontation.

      Delete